Wednesday, January 12, 2011

sunshine, vintage shopping, and fried seafood. perfect day.



Today I went to Daytona Beach with my Mom to help her with a favor/errand for my Nana & Papaw (in Asheville, NC).  It's a quick 40 minute drive, so it's not a big deal to "go coastal" for the day.  Obviously, living in Orlando, I can make a day trip out of both the Atlantic Coast and the Gulf of Mexico.  Pretty awesome and something I shouldn't take for granted, ya know?!?
Today was a pretty day - the sun was out beaming, but it was cold and breezy over on the coast.  It was a fun day, though, and I'm glad we got to spend that time together! 

We vintage shopped at these two ecclectic little shops on the river...


... and that's where my mom found THESE!!!


Vintage, Authentic 1980's RAY-BAN WAYFARER SUNGLASSES!!! If you know me, then imagine my squeal when Mom pointed out to me the proof of authenticity on these gnarley boys!


They were marked for $15 and I knew I'd never find a better deal for my growing Ray-Ban collection.  But, the plastic part of the ear piece is broken - yet, the earpiece/frame is actually Aviator-style gold metal that is wrapped in plastic.  I guess that's how they did it back then before they had this better plastic material of today - or whatever it is my newer ones are made out of.  Ha!
I collect 'em, not an expert on 'em. 


I talked her down to $10 since they were broken.  Now, I don't know about YOU but that is what I call a vintage/thrifting JACKPOT!
I also got this...


For sentimental reasons.  I was OBSESSED with Peter Pan as a kid.  I mean, crazy-talk obsessed!  So this was a little nostalgic for me, plus I hope to pass down my love for vinyl to my children one day... so why not start 'em out with something I loved as a child, something vintage, and something meaningful?

After our errand and the shopping, Mom and I were hungry so we went to "Aunt Catfish's" - a famous, local favorite in Port Orange, FL (a few minutes South of Daytona). 
It was a YUMMY, SOUTHERN meal. 
Not ALL of Florida is a big amusement park or Little Cuba.  It definitely still has it's Southern roots and in our neck of the woods it's very much still a culture!
I don't know what I would do
 without Southern food!!


I hate Ranch dressing,
what are you talking about?


Cheese grits & cornbread.


Fried Shrimp. Yum.


And I washed it down with a
Coca-Cola from a Mason jar.

HOPE YOUR DAY WAS SPENT
LOVING THE LIFE YOU HAVE!
Mine was. 



PEACE & LOVE
Baily

12 comments:

Jesslyn Amber said...

Sounds like a perfect day! :)
Love the Coca Cola in a mason jar by the way!

Kristen said...

TOTAL score thrift shopping!!

lul said...

Goodness that sounded like a really nice day! And you look gorgeous by the way. AND those grits... yum.
Kiss
lula

Miss Sweet Tea said...

Such a cute outfit! I love it!

Also, I was OBSESSED with Peter Pan as well. I watched it every night before bed for at least 2 years straight. It's my favorite Disney movie!

All that food looks amazing! I miss having yummy southern food at my fingertips all the time!

Deanna Pai said...

Oh my gosh, what a fantastic day. I'm in awe and, let's be honest, definitely a little jealous, especially seeing that fried shrimp and sunshine!

Anna Walker said...

I LOVE the idea of drinking from Mason Jars! :)
Oh and your jeans and those boots are fabulous!

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Chelsea said...

I absolutely love days like this! Glad you had a great one. P.s. I love Peter Pan too, actually Tinkerbell :)

Amy Nielson said...

looks like so much fun! and? i have a crush on your boots in that first pic.

Michelle (michabella) said...

What a fun lil trip!!!!! OMG! Such a ridiculously great find on those RayBans!!! I just bought my first pair last November! Those are so cute! Love the pics of you at the beach! <333

Dee Paulino said...

Looks like you'd a great day. I love the fact you live close enough to the coast you can have little trips to around it. the Ray Bans are a rip off!! $10? that's the best deal ever. I am a fan of RayBans myself, I bought my first pair last summer and have been hooked since.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Those Ray Bans...NO WAY LUCKY GIRL! :)

Unknown said...

that is some good looking food! ♥