Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Blessed

{Link Up by clicking HERE}

The year 2010 was a long and winding road for me.  I have come a LONG way and I have endured a lot of pain, as well as triumph, during this "learning year."  I'm proud of the strides I made in my self-discovery and I'm also proud of my awareness for the things that matter the most in my life. 

As most of you know, I lost everything in a house fire in April.  Everything I unwrapped from under last year's Christmas tree was gone in an instant, along with years and years worth of beloved items.  But, I was spared from the bigger tragedy that the fire could have been, and that is an irrevocable blessing.  I was given a new life, a new beginning, and a new outlook. 
And that's what will carry me into 2011.

My blessings:

Learning who my true friends are. Even though I had to endure some pretty tough times to figure this out, I still count it a huge blessing.

My insurance claim check.  This gave me the opportunity to rebuild my wardrobe, replace my prized possessions, and buy back some of the life that the fire took from me.  As for the sentimentals that I lost, I still cherish everything in my heart.  As tough as it has been... I learned a very valuable lesson:  life goes on.

My family.  I've never doubted that I have a unique and EXTRAORDINARY family. But as I grow up and experience more things and meet all sorts of people and different families & their dynamics, I gain a little understanding of just how BIG OF A BLESSING my loved ones are, and how rare our family dynamic is: we love one another unconditionally.  I am surrounded by the MOST GIVING people in the world.  They are hard-working, adventurous, and welcoming to everyone.  They show me what matters in life, and what doesn't, when Mom works shifts for her friend, on top of her own shifts, unpaid, so that the said friend can be bedside at the hospital with her dying husband without the worry of how to pay the bills.  I know where my charitable heart comes from when my dad buys blankets and jackets and delivers them to a group of homeless people he saw on the walk from his hotel to dinner place.  My sister drops everything she's doing for anyone in need.  These things are what shine a light on the important things in life.  What a blessing! Year after year...

My music.  There's no chance that I would have made it through 2010 without my beloved tunes I jam to!  I'm blessed with the ability to turn a not-so-good day into an awesome day just by spinning the right vinyl record on my wooden record player or putting my iTunes to the right playlist to boost my morale.

A heartbreak.  This summer was definitely a test of my endurance, strength, and perserverance when I struggled with a pretty brutal break-up right in the midst of my pain from April's fire.  I lost my best friend when the door slammed closed on me from out of nowhere and it left me broken, numb, and doubtful.  But the heartbreak was a blessing because if it never happened I would probably be living a life that I knew all along was not mine, but his.  I was blessed with new, wonderful doors being opened for me and I was able to build back MY life and of it was I wanted.

My relationship with God.  I'd like to believe that God and I have always been friends but our relationship is at its very closest this year.  When I had lost all HOPE, when I was tripped up on my FAITH and tangled dangerously with the devil's schemes, and when I saw my STRENGTH dwindling away, I humbly handed my beautiful/tragic life ALL to Him!!! He redeemed me and never forsaked me.  I know that NO MATTER WHAT 2011 brings it will all be okay because of my full-on TRUST in the Lord.

what blessings are in YOUR blessing box?
link up and play along!

...so let's try to enjoy the ride.


peace and love
baily jordan jones 

4 comments:

Michelle (michabella) said...

I am so proud of you, sweet friend! Through every storm the sun always shines. You are def blessed with an amazing family! I just wanna give you big ol hug right now! So very blessed to have reunited. I hope our friendship blossoms :) Love ya sister! Praying for you <333

Jenn W. said...

Sounds like a difficult year.
Praying Gods Blessings for you in 2011. :)
Love your blog!

Jenn
http://jennwarwick.blogspot.com

BJJ said...

Thanks Jenn!
I'm excited to get started reading your blog... thanks for sharing the link! :)
God Bless you in this New Year!

Dee Paulino said...

It's so ironic I describe my family the same way you described yours. The more I grow and become aware of my surroundings, the more I love and appreciate them. I lost my loved one & best friend this year too, oh, I know the feeling. Sounds like you learned a lot this year and that experience itself is priceless.

I am sure 2011 has better things in store for you, xoxo