Wednesday, May 19, 2010

self-revelation

Today's been a good day. I took a break from running errands and doing lesson plans and just let myself sort of breathe. Ahhh, finally!

I woke up and walked Millie on an intended 1.5 mile walk. We made it halfway. I must have missed the phase where 9am felt like a sunny-but-cool Spring morning. Summer's here, needless to say. I almost died. Then I thought of how much of a badass I must have been when I was in high school and practiced cross-country at 3pm, on the deadly heat of Orlando's asphalt, and in the fiery furnace of August & September in Central Florida. Since I didn't see my dad standing there pushing me along on every turn like I did in a race, I very graciously veered Millie "off-course" and took the short-cut home. And still almost died.

Since I almost died, I figured I must've burned some calories so I got in the driver's seat of my car and Millie hopped in the passenger seat and we drove to Jack's. I was hell-bent and determined I was going to have me an order of biscuits 'n gravy. They were simply amazing. Millie says, "mine was too!" Except she had an order of hashbrowns.

I took my time getting my things together, but I eventually headed over to CrimsonPlace condominiums to meet some friends at the pool. I got to catch up with Kathleen, finally, which is a hard task because she's taking an interim class, a Master's student, a lifegaurd by day, and bartender by night. Getting a lunch in with her, which lasts under an hour usually, is as hard as the secondary education and history classes that consume her. So you know how excited I must be to have seen her today, and am seeing her again tonight! I've blogged about her before. She's equally as passionate about fulfilling her life goals as I am and she's got a style and grace that is all her own. If I am a Woodstock loving, vinyl record collecting, free-spirit, then she is denim and diamonds, driving for Dale and dancin' to Hank kind of girl that channels a true June Carter. When you get us together, give us a Light beer, and turn us loose to a country cover band, you're bound to see a show. Equally clumsy, too, so usually one of us is on the ground and the other is pointing and laughing.

I got to see Kayley at the pool, too, and I don't think I've ever found myself with my two closest friends, in the middle of the day, poolside in quite some time. It feel ahhh-mazing! Kayley had cooked dinner at her boyfriend and one of my best guy friend's apartment last night and had me over to eat. We had yummy chicken and scalloped potatoes and watched the Dancing With The Stars results show. I was sad to see Ochocinco go home, but I would have screamed bloody murder if Erin Andrews was sent home. It would have been that incredibly painful for me. Monday night when the episode showcased the celebrity's background and life, I was moved by Erin. Everyone knows that I idolize her because of her passion for her school (even though it is UF and all) and because of her success in my "other" dream career. (see my other blog here) But her ability to come out and do a show that is so daring and performance-oriented made me have NOTHING but utmost respect for her. After her showcased biography during Monday night's performance round, she came out and kicked some serious ass and made a statement for women everywhere that have been victimized by sexual harassment. All I can say is, bravo! And to Kayley's cooking, bravo! I'm looking forward to having a good time with good friends, and the term 'good friend' is an understatement for Kayley. Her goodness to me was so bountiful after the fire. She thought to bring me makeup, hair tools, toiletries, under garments, socks, razors, nail files, the little things that make a big difference when they aren't taken for granted. I hadn't even realized that I lost all the little things like nail clippers and tweezers, but she did. There aren't enough good things I can say about a friend like that. The kind of friend that walks in when everyone else walks out.

That's why I don't care that I haven't heard from KG, BB, WP, and many others that I thought were my "best friends" before I was struck with this personally huge disaster. It's funny, too, because as I talked to Kathleen and Kayley about how I believe in soulmates now, I told them that things happen so that we can see who and what are supposed to be in our lives... and not only that, but do you know what the one thing is that sets a regular learning experience apart from the truly life-changing? You find out the WHY to go along with the who and what. Maybe I was that far from God and He needed something to happen that challenged my mind and my heart, but also my soul and my life in general. I learn new reasons WHY everyday when I stop myself from complaining about my plastic dresser and my bare walls, and instead praise God for giving me clothes to even need a plastic dresser, and for giving me the plastic dresser because some people have nothing. I praise him for the walls that keep me sheltered, and pray for the people who do not know of such a thing. And you find people that admire you and you find an even deeper admiration for them because they stopped to notice the positive change in your life. These things, these are the why's.

Today Kayley said something as I was walking away from the pool and Kathleen agreed. It feels good to know that the Lord's work in my heart is showing on the outside. I refuse to hide it under a bushel. I heard her say this, "Baily's a changed person because of this. That fire was life-changing for her." 

I needed the change. I needed the Lord to work in mysterious ways on me. And he has. Bravo, God! Bravo!

Peace&Love
Baily

No comments: