Thursday, May 6, 2010

the one about my record player

I broke out the Crosley retro-wooden record player today. It's funny that my record player was one of the first things my Daddy replaced for me. I think he knows how much I love it, how much it defines me, and how much I was going to miss it if I didn't have it. I'm blessed that my parent's home-owner's insurance is paying for the things I lost in the fire, but those insurance checks don't get to you over night. Or 3 weeks later for that matter. Actually, I don't know when I'm going to get it. I just know I haven't gotten it yet... and I'd be pretty insane to tell my parent's that of ALL the things that were lost, that the vinyl record player was top of the list. I know it's not a neccessity, and I would be the first to tell you that. But, it does say a lot about me and it has sent me a lot of good times, and right now that's what I need - good times.

So, I know I'm leaving my hotel dwelling on Saturday and moving back in to the fire scene house. I don't really know how I feel about it. I kind of just feel numb. But these last few days have been harder than the first few. So, I unpacked the record player that I was trying my hardest not to unpack until I moved into a more permanent place. With everything else I have to worry about - whats one more box?

I've jammed to my Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Janis Joplin records today. After all of that, a bad day turned into a rather good day. Who are we to  underestimate the power of music? The power of a needle, vinyl, and a good vintage record? Who are we to underestimate the message of people like John Lennon, Mick Jagger, and Janis? I don't know, but I won't anymore. Not I, not I.

PEACE&LoVe
BJJ

No comments: