Wednesday, February 9, 2011

depression

Battling depression has been one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.  But you have to do it.  You can't not battle it, or it's game-over.  Depression requires you to swim like hell just to keep from drowning, not neccesarily in order to get anywhere.  Except you know you will, eventually, but it's what you learn while you're barely keeping your head above water that matters the most.  That's when it is just you and God and the open sea.  That's when terrors of the deep and stormy weather dance all around you but you just keep your head up and eyes focused on the one that will get you to shore.

Since I am being honest and completely open right now, it wouldn't be right for me to say that I haven't made this war on depression a little worse for me.  I am really good at making the wrong decision and I constantly mutter the words 'what the hell did I just get myself into?' under my breath.  No one held me hostage and told me to do the things that I was doing to harm my body, break my spirit, and detour my ambitions.  But, those things happened.  I drank alcohol more than I should have at times, I became way too dependant on my psychiatric medications, and I submitted myself into a world full of negative coping mechanisms and deceitful people. 

But I have experienced the highest of highs, as well.  I used this bewildering stage of my life to learn the real me.  Even though there were phases of sorrow and doubt, there have been moments of bliss and phases of happiness.  Each day I wake up with a thankfulness in my heart for the Lord's gift of another day, and I'm grateful for being able to experience love, family, and friendship.  I know that some people do not even get that and that breaks my heart.  To know that there are people out there who are really and truly as alone and lonely as I feel when the depression creeps in.  Because without the support that I know and have, I probably would've drowned a long time ago.  They threw out the life preservers when I needed them most and they took me to an even more exhilerating level of happiness when I would experience my "good phases." 

Now, I experience more balance.  More level-headed and not so heavy-minded and disarrayed in my thoughts.  I'm beginning to see a more promising future than the one that I have seen over the past couple of years.  I think that is because I am seeing it God's way and not my way and not some boyfriend's way.  I have sometimes taken 'the long way' around things by not focusing God and instead seeing some boy as my saving grace and that was not and never will be the case.  Lesson learned.

But still, it's a daily battle.  Easier than before, yes.  Does it feel like a different war for me now that it is being battled on the homefront? Yes.  But this is the type of war that you want be in your homeland... not ten hours away from the people you love and know would do anything for you, like I was in Alabama.  Like I've said before (and I just can't say it enough), coming home was the best thing that ever happened to me.  What better place to come heal the pain than the house that built me?  How could I have gotten any better inspiration elsewhere than in a home with a father who victoriously battled a very different life-threatening disease? 

I might not be totally happy with the way my life has played out, but I know how terribly different it could have gone.  How horribly wrong things could have been.  I know that I could have made better decisions, but at least I know that now.  Surely to goodness if anything is "better late than never" then TURNING LIFE AROUND is one of those things.  Right?

I think so at least.  That is why I learned to embrace it.  Sure, I am not proud that goals I planned to have already achieved are post-poned and I am not ecstatic over the fact that I don't have all that much to boast about.  I don't ask for pity because I hate it.  But I do ask for understanding.  It is painful to know that family and friends don't always understand the toll that depression takes on your body and the confusion it can cause in your heart and mind.  Trust me, I'm right there with them in not understanding how such a lover of life can have such a hard time loving life.  It's a terrifying feeling to wake up one day and not be the girl that you know you are... to have to ask yourself why you don't care, why you're numb, lazy, achey, and how you can't love the wonderful life you've been given - when for twenty-something years you've been this bubbly, chatterbox, creative-minded, athletic, spunky, ambitious girl. 

So many hours I spent in front of a mirror just waiting for my spirit to come back and fill the hollow body I was looking at and trying to decide if I loved the fact that I couldn't feel anything or if I hated it.  I'd wonder where my life was headed and then the thoughts would get so mumbled jumbled that I'd just find something to get my mind off of everything.  Now, I look in the mirror and I see my smile most mornings.  There's a glow on my skin and I don't know if it's from joy and recovery or if it's traces of my homecoming to Florida, but I think it is a little bit of both.  I don't find flaws on my body that give me an excuse to ignore healthy eating habits, but instead - I'm a twenty-something girl trying to gain a little muscle weight and that's not much to complain about.  I embrace my uniqueness in the clothes and accessories that I decorate myself with but I don't force a dishonest expression anymore.  What I mean by that is I don't doll myself up and pretend like everything is ok if it isn't, so when I'm having one of my "bad days" or I'm in a muti-day "funk" then you probably can guess it by my greasy hair, unmoisturized skin, and decade-old sweatpants.  It is what it is - so I embrace it.

Thanks for letting me get this off of my chest.  I am glad I have had this blog to be so "real" and so "me" with... this was my only outlet for a long time, until I came home to other resources, and this blog is my truest self-expression during a time in my life that has been one scary and fun rollercoaster.  Thanks for seeing me through the highs as well as the lows and for keeping me inspired.

peace and love
baily





15 comments:

Liz said...

Wow- this is an incredible post. Thanks so much for sharing...
I've never been diagnosed with a "clinical" depression, but there have been definite years in my life where I can be fairly certain that I was depressed. Not "down," or "sad," or "anxious," but depressed.
The daily battle seems so ominous, but you're totally right about God being the only being that can understand and actually get you through to the other side.
Basically, I just agree with everything you wrote, and you wrote everything so beautifully.
Thanks again for posting. :)

vintch said...

you are so strong, sweet girl. thank you for sharing your heart on this post. i can't imagine the hurt you feel.

but i do know that we serve a God who can. and does.

much love and prayers, courtney

Michelle (michabella) said...

I love YOU Baily Jordan Jones, greasy hair and all! You are such a strong woman. God has given you so much strength and courage to hang on and keep going in this crazy thing called life. Praying for you!!! xoxoxox

Dee Paulino said...

I battled with depression for the first time in my life last year due to some uncontrollable situations. I know how hard it is and how bad it feels. My experiences were nothing like yours and because of that I must tell you how strong and inspiring I think you are. I know you will be fine and will look back and laugh and remember everything that has happened as a learning experience.

I am sending a cloud of love and peace your way, I will be praying for you and also ask for your prayers

Much love

Saumya said...

What an incredible post. I have been battling similar struggles for quite some time and it IS a daily job. But it does get better and the best part about it, I've realized, is recognizing those triggers and patterns that point to depression. I can tell when I'm getting into a rut and what I need to do to lift out. Studying depression in school has also given a lot of insight. How brave of you to share this with us! I'm saying a little prayer for you tonight, lady :)

Holli said...

I remember feeling this exact same way in my 20's. I've had lots of tragedy in my life and I too struggled with severe ups and downs and coping mechanisms.... I will say this. I'm a better person for having gone through it all and it DOES get easier and easier as time marches on.

You're doing a great job.... :)

Julie said...

Great post, so honest and so appreciated! Mental illness is wildly misunderstood and it's awesome when those who struggle with it can be open about it. Good for you, and good luck in all of the progress you are making and will make!

Ashley said...

I love that you were so open and honest in this post. I went through depression a few years ago and everything that you wrote, is exactly how I was feeling at the time. I can honestly say that it is still something that I struggle with at different times in my life. I have my days that I don't want to even think about getting out of bed and facing life. Then there are days that I am jumping out of bed so excited about the wonderful people and things I have going for me in life. Keep believing in yourself and focusing on the good things in your life. Take it day by day. It gets better, I promise.

Joy Mataxis said...

Hi Darling- I just started reading your blog and I wanted to tell you that you are an inspiration to me. I teeter from day-to-day and, moment-to- moment with depression and it SUX. Please keep on keeping on and it will get better. You are bigger then your sadness. Im sending you some light sweet girl.

Peace and love.

Jenn W. said...

So refreshing to read such an honest post. God bless you Bailey! The past year of my life caused me to experience both anxiety and depression. There were a few weeks that I didn't really recognize myself. Friends and family told me just to "get over it" which is so much easier said than done; Especially since this depression came on during my first year of marriage. Even though I have come a long way, it feels as if it is still always right there lurking. I've struggled having faith in God for healing ever since my husband and I have been plagued with health problems. I don't know why the idea of healing (physical, spiritual, emotional, etc.) can be so difficult to grasp. Jesus didn't just die for my sins, he died for my sickness too.

Praying for you Bailey. You are a very strong individual and I have enjoyed following your blog. You are an inspiration! Blessings and sunshine!

Caley-Jade Rosenberg said...

Such an open and honest post! A very big congratulations on writing it all down and expressing your feelings so warmly and honestly. As you can see above, there are so many people out there battling and struggling too, and knowing and talking to these people will help a great deal!

Keep at it each day and try keep smiling, and god will do the rest.
x

Sarah said...

Thankyou for your honesty. I'm glad things are looking brighter. You're right depression is something you have to keep fighting. It's so frustrating, especially when it comes back after you thought you'd won the battle. But we've got God so it will work out in the end. Keep being yourself. All the bestx

Nicole Jeannette said...

Thank you for being so honest. I feel like so many of us just want to brush over all of the hard stuff and talk about *insert superficial thing here* instead. I applaud you for this. My mom suffers from depression and it is so hard lover her and seeing her go through this. You're in my prayers and please keep posting!

Sarah @ Cubicle Sanity said...

I truly admire your strength Bailey. I have never personally dealt with something like this but I have loved those who have. You pick up that sword and keep fighting beautiful!

Some Korean Website Highjacker said...

baily, what an extremely well-written and poignant share. bless you, you must have felt spent after filtering all that emotion out in print. i think it's stellar how you have such an amazing ability to convey your thoughts in this candid forum.

tactful and transparent, this has been an insightful read for me. one of my very close friends is dealing with depression too and man it's tough to break through her clouds. like you, she talks about drowning and says it feels like "how can you see the horizon, when you're only just able to barely tread water".

i'm really happy to hear home is so healing for you and wish you every goodness, you deserve nothing less! ♥