Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Travel Tuesday no. 1 _ Springfield, Missouri

welcome to travel tuesday my friends
I'm really pumped that I am starting a new series over here; it's just another musing of mine.
I've told you about my blog-friend (and now Facebook and Twitter friend) Becca, and if you don't remember her she is the host of 'Travel Tuesday' on her blog, Life in Technicolor.  Last week, I was her fifth interviewee.  Her ambition for this series is to meet people who blog all across the world.  I think it's a pretty groovy and nifty thing,
so I told her I was going to let it inspire me to do the same. 


It would only be appropriate for me to open up this series on my blog by having
BECCA
as my first interviewee.  Plus, I got to learn a little bit more about her unique little city in MiSSOURi by reading what all she had to say about it.... and it sounds like a quality place! :)
You know, I've always wanted to go to St. Louis, and now I'm interested in other places in the state because of my fellow 'wildflower'... so maybe a visit to Mizzou is in store for me!



 
Turning it over to my Beatle-loving, crafty, and super cool blog-friend...
be sure to check out her blog when you're done learning about her world!!
(click on the image to see Life in Technicolor)


Name: Becca Dickson

Occupation: Assistant Editor for AG News and The Council Today

Blog: Life in Technicolor. (http://beccanicole05.blogspot.com/)

Location: Springfield, MO

What major cities or landmarks are your city close to? Springfield is about an hour from Branson, and 3 ½ hours from St. Louis and Kansas City.

How long have you lived there? 5 years. I moved to Springfield to attend Evangel University, and as the alums say, I “got sucked in.”

 If you moved here after living in a different city, where did you move from? How did you find your city? I moved from Pittsburgh, PA, where I was born and lived for 11 years. After that I lived in Louisville, OH (between Canton and Cleveland) for 8 years.

What's the climate like? The weather is so varied here from day to day. Spring is hot one day and cold the next and it's crazy storm season. Summer is very hot and humid and osrt of miserable if you have allergies. Temperatures are usually 90-100 in July/August, and can get up to 115 with the heat index and humidity. Fall is amazing and breezy. Winters don't get very cold and there is no more than a foot of snow or the city would shut down, ha. However there are severe ice storms that can last for a week.

What are some of your favorite weekend things to do in your town? Go to the Springfield Nature Center, enjoy Andys Frozen Custard, First Friday Art Walks, mini golf at Fun Acre, ice skating at Jordan Valley, thrifting at antique flea markets downtown.


What is your town known for? Springfield is known for cashew chicken, a combination of fried chicken chunks covered with Chinese oyster sauce, a handful of cashews and chopped green onions. I think it's disgusting, but Springfield-style cashew chicken is still being served at over 70 Chinese restaurants, as well as many non-Chinese restaurants, in and around the Springfield metropolitan area.




What are some other fun facts or history tidbits?

Fun Facts:


• Brad Pitt's family lives here (seriously!)

• Lucas Grabreel from High School Musical was born and raised here

History Tidbits:


• Missouri was included in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. Soon after, the Delaware received treaty land where Springfield’s Sequiota Park and the antique stores of its Galloway Village stand today.

• The Trail of Tears traveled through the Springfield area via what is known today as the Old Wire Road.

• In the wake of the Civil War, Springfield helped give birth to the Wild West era. In July 1865, the town square was the site of the nation’s first-recorded shootout, between “Wild Bill” Hickok and Dave Tutt.

• Officially recognized as the birthplace of Route 66, it was in Springfield on April 30, 1926, that officials first proposed the name of the new Chicago-to-Los Angeles highway. Traces of the Mother Road are still visible in downtown Springfield and along the city’s northern boundary. Travelers still see traces of history along the famous thoroughfare. In some areas, early gas stations and cafés are still in operation, sitting alongside antique stores and flea markets.

What are some of your favorite restaurants in your city? Ruby Tuesday is our favorite, but that is everywhere. So I will say Cheddars — it's all american food — they have burgers, chicken, pasta, and yummy honey butter rolls.

What are some touristy attractions that readers would want to check out if they were in town for a visit? If you are looking for touristy attractions, you belong in Branson. Seriously. On the main strip there are tons of cheesy shows, mini golf, bumper cars, and attractions like the Hollywood Wax Museum and Titanic Museum. There is also Silver Dollar City (theme park) and White Water (water park).

In Springfield, there is the Dickerson Park Zoo, Art Museum, Bass Pro Headquarters, and caving, to name a few. Fantastic Caverns is America's largest cave, big enough to drive through.

Tell us why you love your city! There are so many things to do in Springfield and the surrounding areas.My city offers a unique blend of metropolitan charisma and Midwestern charm in the United States. Snow in the morning and temperatures in the 80s in the afternoon could only happen in my city, and I think it's hilarious.

 
Anything else we should know about where you live? Did you know that Bob Barker used to live in Springfield, attended Drury University, and there's a street named after the famed game show host?

............................................................................................................................................................

I dig it! Tell me what you think!

Tell me where I should interview next, or if you are interested in becoming a part of
TRAVEL TUESDAY

and be sure to learn more about Becca and why I think she's like a
gem in my Bloggy treasure chest!

peace & love
and
'safe travels to you'
baily j jones

No comments: