Wednesday, March 31, 2010

a day in the life

One day can change your life.  One day can ruin your life.  All life is is three or four days that change everything.

I got to thinking about that quote the other day after me and one of my roommates, Elena, were watching the movie "Riding In Cars With Boys."  I guess I would have to agree with it.  I mean, I've been alive for twenty-two years but there are probably only three or four days that have shaped my life thus far.  The days that explain family, make or break friendships, and test your belief on romance and love. 

I guess we don't really know when these days are coming for us or else they might not have changed as much in our lives as they did.  It's the unpredictability and spontaneity of these days that are the real kicker.  Like when you think life is as perfect as a picture show until the day your dad comes home to tell you the news of his cancer.  Or when you think you found that one person who is your ultimate soul-mate and then go over to his house to see that he wants to move on and break-up with you.  The day you spend in a wedding dress and veil.  The day you go into labor.  The day you see life from a better perspective.  The day you find love again.  Whatever it is, we all have those days and we all let those days play a major role in shaping the weeks, months, and years that lie around them. 

Most of these days are looked back upon with the wish that we could have done it different or been more prepared or changed the way it all played out.  I'm a firm believer that a girl's college years are, by far, the years that are spent experimenting with life.  Most of us girls find what we think is true love, we find our niche and propell ourselves into the career world, we find our friends and we find our enemies, and we cling to our parents morals and values that we grew up knowing but redefine ourselves with our own individuality.  Some of these life experiences end with great joy or they end up with regret and a broken heart.  But, the most amazing experiences of them all, are the ones that leave you with a knew peace of mind and a tighter grasp on knowing who we really are.  And if we are really lucky, sometimes life lets us learn from our experiences and rewards us with a second chance.  Two years ago, when that one day ended a lifetime of possibilities, all I ever wanted was life to give me a second chance.  I clung to the thought of a second chance, and I was distraught that I never was given one.  Until I realized that it was all a learning experience and I had a lot to learn before life would give me what I wanted in regard to that one day and that one experience. 

I guess all we really can do is keep the faith, perservere, and let all the weeks, months, and years that lie around these three or four significant days do their job.  Their job is to teach us something, renew us, and give us a chance to become better people, better friends, better lovers, whatever it might be.  And once we do that, and if we're really lucky, we get that one more day that we so badly wanted and needed.

Lately I've learned the value in forgiveness and making each day count, because we never know when it is going to be one of "those" type days.  Tonight when we go to sleep, we don't know if life is about to throw one stomach-punch of a curve ball or if it's going to hand us a reward for perserving.  It's part of the crazy, beautiful life, I guess, and a notion to the fact that we just have to keep on truckin'.  Because, seriously, who knows what is about to happen.

Peace&Love
Bjj

LOVE. never fails.

No comments: