Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day One - favorite song

Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee"
Her former lover, Kris Kristofferson, wrote this song originally.  But it was her rendition that went to #1 on the charts.  The sad part is that Janis never got to see it.  She died while recording the album, "Pearl", that contained this song. 
What I love about it:  It is a song about two young lovers who travel together but break up so that they can discover the world on their own.  I think a lot of people think I only like this song because it is my favorite karaoke song to sing.  Or maybe because I embrace my raspy voice and love the fact that Janis did too.  Or they might just think that since I like Janis Joplin's music, I might as well like her best hit.  But, in all reality, I like this song because it almost tells the story of my life.  I have had those special people that I loved with a young heart that forced me to endure hurt and heartache in order to discover who I am on the inside.  I guess when it comes to women who want to make a difference in the world, who stand up for what they believe in, and who like to be as free as their spirit, me and Janis are a lot alike.  I've always interpreted this song as more of the lovers that were more of my best friend.  The guys I love outside of any bounding ties that relationships can bring; you know, the friends in life that love you when you need to be loved while helping you dig deeper to finding out who you really are, and then let you go to discover this crazy, beautiful life on your own.  Needless to say, I know exactly who my "Bobby McGee" is and I'll always love him for helping me find myself when I thought I'd lost it all.  We might not be as close as we once were, but when I think about all the fun times we shared, only good feelings come of it. And on that note, "freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. Nothing, was all that Bobby left me. And feeling good was easy enough when he sang the blues. Feeling good was good enough for me, good enough for me and my Bobby McGee."

So here's to the ones that let me share the secrets of my soul, through all kinds of weather, while keeping me from the cold.

Peace&Love
-bjj

No comments: