Thursday, March 11, 2010

some girl power for women's history month

For the past year, I have thoroughly enjoyed my subscription to Glamour magazine (thanks, Mom). One issue in particular earned my highest admiration.  The March 2009 issue was a celebration of women's history month. Few words can describe their creative tap into the most influential women.  The word enlightening would be the understatement of a lifetime.  Glamour used the faces of young hollywood to recreate icons throughout history. 
I guess you could say that I am a 'quiet feminist' in the respect that I don't stand in picket lines or participate in women's rights rallies, but I do believe in equality for all of humanity.  There is a huge part of me that needs to advocate and make a difference in the world.  My willingness to have an open mind to new ideas and experiences makes my passion for equality a large part of who I am, whether it be children with disabilities, gender roles, or ethnic backgrounds.  So, last year's March issue of the magazine was a fascination of mine.  I even have a few of the images from the article hanging on the wall in my bedroom.  To say the least, their unique expression of women in history is an inspiration to the youth who precede them.  That's why it was incredibly fascinating to see girls that are my age portray the women who blazed the trail for us. 
Here are a few of the images:

Alexis Bledel as Rosie the Riveter

Elisha Cuthbert as Brandi Chastain

Odette Yustman, Spencer Grammer, and Rumer Willis as The Women of Woodstock

Emma Stone as Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City)

Hayden Panettiere as Amelia Earhart

Lindsay Lohan as Madonna

Emma Roberts as Audrey Hepburn

These are my very favorites from the many portrayals. Being who I am, these seven women are highly admired by me and I truly believed they are iconic and deserving of the notion that they influenced women's history in unique and special ways. Here is the run-down of my ABSOLUTE favorites:
The fact that Carrie Bradshaw is a character in a hit TV show is intriguing, but in no way do I doubt that she plays a major role in expanding societal views of women.  Not just that, but I have spent many, many nights with her and a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia while gaining her useful insight on life in order to get over a heartbreak.  We all have a little Carrie in us, and she brings out the loveable feminist in us all. (Favorite thing she ever said: "I make mistakes, that's what I do.  I speak without thinking, I act without knowing, I drink so much that I can barely walk. But I'm a fantastic lover, though, and an amazing friend. God knows I mean well.")
Even if you want to hate her, you really can't.  Madonna is the ultimate woman-badass.  She's timeless, but we all have our favorite "time" of Madonna.  Most famously, her 1980's rocker chick is America's favorite I would think.  She is probably one of my favorite women people ever. (Favorite thing she ever said: "I'm tough, ambitous, and know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch - okay!")
I'm so excited that Glamour gave Brandi Chastain this honorable distinction.  Being a 12-year old little soccer jock, I remember exactly where I was when she made the goal in the shoot out against China that won the 1999 Women's World Cup. She single handedly made a black Nike sports bra the most empowering (and sexiest) article of clothing one could buy.  She made "you play like a girl" a compliment, and she told the media who found her stripshow inappropriate to shove it where the sun don't shine.  She definitely changed things. (Favorite thing about her: She wore the #6 jersey.)
When Bob Dylan sang "Times They Are A Changing" in 1964, he might not have known the revolution that was taking place for the female's role in society.  Five years later, when 500,000 people showed up to Max Yasgur's farm in White Lake, NY for 3 Days of Peace and Music, the women who were there changed the way things were.  The Women of Woodstock said goodbye to white gloves and lace and said hello to jeans, tie-dye, and leather.  Their need for peace was the reason behind their we-can-do-anything attitude. Most of all, they ushered in a new generation of free-thinking and blazed the trail for girls, like me, who don't want to hold back because of someone elses close-minded boundaries.  You know how they say that the people who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world are usually the ones that do? These naturally beautiful flowergirls must have been in mind when that was said. (Favorite Women of Woodstock: Janis Joplin, Joan Baez, and Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane).

Here's to the ones who push the women of the world forward.  The ones that urge us to embrace our feminism and who prove that women change the world just as much as men do.

Peace & Love,
Bjj      "The Other Sister"

No comments: