Sunday, March 28, 2010

DCAF

Yesterday I went with my friends Foy & Amanda to the Druid City Arts Festival in downtown Tuscaloosa.  It really was a lot of fun: the Tour de Tuscaloosa bike race was being held and adjacent to the start and finish line was the arts festival.  It occupied a city parking lot and grassy courtyard area in the neat setting of downton T-town. "Univeristy of Alabama Creative Campuses" student organization put on the DCAF and it was nice to be around people that appreciated music, art, and culture. 

The weather in Tuscaloosa was as close to perfect as you can get and it made for a really fun day of listening to music, drinking a couple of beers, and being with friends. There was a neat "thrift shop" booth set up by an Alabama student and she also has a store on Etsy.  The other booths were made up of creative jewelry, canvas paintings, wine bottle paintings, and wind-chimes and trinkets.  It made me wish that I took my aunt's advice and made some of my canvas prints that I did for some Christmas presents.

My sister first made me one for my birthday, and I have taken a liking to doing them for friends and family.  What it is is a canvas with a solid colored background and a "theme city or state".  Ashley made me one for Oviedo and I have made some for North Carolina, Tuscaloosa, and Mobile, Alabama.  With a paint pen and neat handwriting, I abstractly write all different things that go along with the theme city.  For example, a Tuscaloosa one would have things like "13 National Championships" and "Coleman Coliseum and Bryant-Denny Stadium" and road names like "University Blvd. and Bear Bryant Dr."  They are all too simple but make for a neat gift to give because it is sentimental to whomever the person and place is.  My cousin who lives in London has asked me to do one for a friend who is leaving London and my cousin wants to give her something that will always make her think of London and all the special things in places that the city beholds.  Anyway, being at the arts festival made me think I should start doing some of them during my down time because it's fun, easy, and inexpensive and something I could bring to a cultural fair or arts fest type thing. 

Here are a few pictures from yesterday:





Peace & Love,
bjj

No comments: