Friday, May 13, 2011

From Above

Today, God told me to slow down.  He asked me to give Him some of my worries and fears, and to not forget that prayer is more powerful than anything. 

My heart has been in such service for others ever since 'the disaster' happened 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have stayed so busy and on the go, so I had not realized that my daily quiet time God & in His word had become, well... not so daily anymore.  Maybe I didn't realize it because of all the praying I have been doing -- for the state of Alabama, my friends that lost everything, and the families of those who lost loved ones.  I've prayed so much for the tornado outbreak crisis that I guess in my mind was mistaking that to be my daily quiet time.  God has blessed me for being a good and faithful servant in my prayers for others -- but I have not been spending much time on my personal stuff - the things He and I have ridden out together and the things I want to change but need His help for.  You know, just on our relationship in general.  God and I have been extremely close buddies throughout my battle with clinical depression but I must say that it's a good thing He is so forgiving. And loving. Because, geez, sometimes a lot of the time,  I'd wander into a mess that He had tried to keep me away from & that I knew better than to get myself tangled up in... I would get hurt... and then I'd come back crying to God to help me fix it.  Most friends would have been over me already and thrown me out, all the blatant sin I was partaking in, but instead He straightens me out by convicting me, forgiving me, and loving me. I guess I was inadvertently 'wandering' again by only asking that He bless others and forgetting to praise Him for what He's done in my life and ask Him to continue to be my captain.

Part of loving and comforting me -- He told me not to forget about my personal issues, my faith, and my partnership with Him.  I needed to remember what is going on in my life, as well, and not let myself wander out of our beautiful friendship like I have done so many times before.  Even though my heart is exploding with emotions for my 'home away from home', I can put my trust in Him and be diligent in my faith that He has it all under control and that a better future is in store for Tuscaloosa and those other areas.

 I realized it is okay to hand some of that worry and anxiety over to God, and to remember to not put too much worry and sadness on my plate because I have experienced that breaking point time and time again.  The breaking point that happens when everything going on in life implodes and causes a huge mess. I put too much on just myself without the ability to cope, deal, and handle my issues in the right way all the time.  The only way to successfully do it... is with Him.  

He told me to remember how far I've come and that I still have so much to be proud of and celebrate.  Not only that, but He reminded me that it's not mean, disrepectful, or cold-hearted to celebrate and find joy in things just because there is suffering.  Even though I am mourning the loss of those that I knew who died in the storms and even though my heart is breaking for everyone who is going through this nightmare, I can honor the Word and be content - even happy - for the will of God to carry-on and that we all live according to His purpose.  There will always be pain and suffering, but there is happiness when you lean on the Prince of Peace and the one who willingly gave His own life so that we could live ours.  The least we can do to say thanks is fulfill his purpose for doing so, right?

For those of us who have walked through the fire, sustained the high winds, kept our heads above water, and been given the chance to rebuild and start over with a new beginning - it is okay to rejoice in that!  It is for a reason that we were given this opportunity, and it means God has a future, a plan, a meaning, and a purpose. He saved us from death, and how close we could have been to that fate, but He did not have that as part of His plan.  His plan is unkown, but with faith, it brings great joy and no more pain, sorrow, and depression.

And that's what God told me today.
I'm looking forward to the time I spend with him tomorrow. 

peace&love
comes from above

baily


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Seriously Baily. You and ODB.org are my like two guiding lights in faith lately. You truly are an inspiration. Thank you!

Mal said...

love this.

Ms. Chianne said...

This is so inspiring to me. I have been battling bipolar depression since I was in 7th grade. For so long I have felt lost, out of control, hopeless, tired. I've done things I know I shouldn't have done & I've lost many good friends because of this. Thank you so much for being so positive and encouraging. It touches my heart to know that there are good people out there like you who know what others struggle with. God bless.

Ms. Chianne said...

Hi Baily, It's me again! I've been reading some of your posts and some of the things you say really hit home for me. Like I said in the previous post, I've been fighting depression for years & trying to do things my way but it isn't working {never has worked!} I just had a question for you. You don't have to answer this if you don't want to. I was wondering if you were on any type of medications and if so what they were. I'm going back to my Dr. this week to change mine {yet again} because these are making me feel so much worse! They have me on 150 mg's of Topamax {mood stabilizer} and 40 mg's of Prozac. The side effects of these two are horrible and I was wondering if you could offer me any advice. If you would rather email me instead of commenting back my email is chiannerenee@aol.com. I would so appreciate any advice or help you could offer me. Thank you so much.