Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bad Weather Scare

I'm an over-reacter.  But I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I guess you can say that some things will never change.  Let me just tell you a little story about my afternoon and evening that I spent at home by myself with just the 3 dogs and the Weather Channel on.

This was in affect for my county today.  I about peed my pants when I heard our National Weather Forecast talking radio come on and I thought someone else was in the house with me. This is my worst fear.  I wish the talking radio voice was not a grown man's and that it was more like "Gretchen" - my name for my British accented Garmin woman.  His voice and urgency in his tone scares the hell out of me every time.  Anyways, the point is... I saw this alert when I signed on my computer, so no matter how bad the alert-man's voice spooked me, the threat of any atypical weather scares the hell out of me now. 

Now that I saw the devastating results of what happened two weeks ago in Alabama - I'm going to always take alerts seriously because I know that the storm that caused that destruction also started with an alert and news warning from a respectable meteorolgist. So when I saw Seminole County on a Severe Weather Warning I went a little... well, overboard.

Overboard in a good way if you ask me.

Better to be safe than sorry, right? The Severe Weather warning was alerting my area of potential 70 mph winds, large hail, and heavy rains and lightning. 

I put my thinking cap on and went into extremo to prepare for what might could be.  Look at the world these days, you never know.  And trust me, if you have witnessed destruction like I did this past week... you would be a little bit of a tizzy-ass yourself.  I hope no fly on the wall ever learns to talk because he'd have one heck of a stand-up act talking about me going into 'worry-wart-survival-mode.'

First, I called my parents and freaked out.
Secondly, I dreadfully put on a sports bra in case chaos happened and I had to go running or be separated from my bras for a while.  I say dreadfully because I'm a free-bird in my own house... don't know about you but that's the best feeling in the world at the end of the day.  So anyways, I ran and put <favorite> sports bra on.  Then, I thought... tennis shoes!  I remembered the story about the guy in the tornado with the piece of wood through his foot and I didn't want that to happen to me... so on go my Merrill Hiking Shoes (you know, to hike myself out of my imaginary warzone I was worried was going to happen due to meteorite sized hail I was imagining and winds that knocked the windows in). 
What else I thought?

A water bottle - I grabbed the one dinky lukewarm water bottle I could find.  (Note: pick up water at the store tomorrow). Then I grabbed the 3 dogs and the 3 dog leashes and went to Mom and Dad's room where I started setting up my bunker.  Oh, I was ready Freddy!

The charger for my phone in place, my lukewarm and gross water bottle with my, the dogs names on their collars, their leashes hooked together with one to hook to me so wherever they go, I go or wherever I go, they go.  Come on, the Wizard of Oz wouldn't have been the same without Toto. 

I called my parents one last time to let them know I was being a freak about the Severe Weather Warning and that there was no need to freak and I told them I had it all under control.  This probably humored them because I don't think I've ever had it all under control... but it's cool to say when things get all intense and stuff you know.  Kinda like the Terminator when he says, "I'll be back."  Haha.
Then I tweeted and texted all my friends and made sure they knew I was still just as anxiety-ridden as I've always been and I told them to take it seriously.  I will take every weather warning seriously from here on out.  Mother nature isn't joking anymore.

Execpt for today.  She kinda joked around with me today.

No rain.  No huge hail.  Nowhere near 70mph winds.  It ended up being quite a peaceful night to be honest.  

Haha, but at least I know now that I won't be a complete idiot when these infamous summer storms start brewing up in Orlando.  I do live in the lightning capital of the world, you know.  I have had to seek shelter in a bunker in that closet with my entire family before (and then again and again and again) when we were hit by 4 huge hurricanes my senior year of college.  I've seen a deadly tornado with my own two eyes as my dad, sister, and I drove parallel to one on the way to the airport to pick my mother up many, many years ago.  I know that a sever thunderstorm warning in Orlando also means FIRE warnings: it's been a drought here for God knows how long and when thunderstorms come in their almighty fury like they do here in the lightning belt and when water evaporates as fast as it does in 99degree weather (which is the record-high that it was today) and when there is droughts... lightning causes hellacious, out of control fires.  So just imagine all my worrisome ways and understand why I was acting like a psychopath today! 

But, hey! At least somebody had a really good time.  And the fly on the wall had a nice laugh too, I'm sure!


Peace
&
Love
BAILY

4 comments:

Kenj said...

Better safe then sorry for sure. I am almost positive I would do the same thing if I had just been to AL recently too. I am glad everything is ok.

Dee Paulino said...

you sure took the correct precautions, I would probably have done the same thing. I am glad it was just a scare

Unknown said...

It is such a good thing I don't live somewhere with sever weather warnings, because I would be the same way!! My boyfriends and my parents don't let me read scary news anymore because I get too much anxiety about it....And get this. I took a class all about Cancer in college, and was then convinced I was going to get Cancer. Literally. I went to the doctor and everything....so don't you worry!

Unknown said...

haha -- it thundered and stormed pretty badly by the airport where I live.
I'm glad you are safe -- I was at Publix haha