Thursday, April 1, 2010

good ole t-town

Last night I went out to Innisfree Irish Pub to see some old friends.  I really needed to get out of the house and be my old self for a night.  I have been quite the recluse lately, spending all of my time on textbooks or just lounging around in sweatpants with my close friends.  Last night, though, I just needed to put the books aside for a couple of hours and take it easy.  To say the least, getting out for a little while was exactly what I have been needing.  Even better was that I ran into so many old friends that I didn't even have to pay for any of my three Coors Lights. Cha-ching! But seriously. Even my old boss from Chuck's Fish bought me one. (Umm, gee thanks, is this for all those tables I bussed like a little bitch-slave without ever getting any sort of tip??)

I found myself, more than once, in the usual convo that you have when you see people you haven't seen in a while.  No, not graduating in May. Yeah, August because I have my internship this summer. No, I'm excited about it. Yeah, I got a dog, she's really cool. Ooo! Ooo! Here let me get my crackberry out and show you some pics of her. No, Ash has no kids yet. What the hell is wrong with you people? Have you ever considered a couple being married for more than two years before they become baby-making machines? Yep, I still blog a little bit. (I'm going to write about this lame conversation tomorrow because I have nothing else to do) Alright, good seeing you too, bye!

Honestly though, it was good to see some old friends last night.  Like I was saying before, the phases we go in and out of in our lives are often fun to look back on.  Fortunately, most of the phases I have gone through in my Tuscaloosa hay-day have consisted of friends and experiences that I can look back on with a big smile on my face.  It's sad that you don't always keep the same friends, but how much growing would I have not done if I had stayed in the same little clique or group of friends?  I guess as my days in Tuscaloosa are quickly coming to an end, I am grateful for everyone and everything that affected my time here.  I have done A LOT of growing up in the past five years.  I've "changed" and the people who think that changing is a bad thing always make me wonder what the heck they think one is supposed to do in college? That's what this phase of our life is for.  Creating ourselves, becoming someone, and evolving into the person that fits the role we soon will play as an adult member of society.  I'm glad I've changed and I don't think my parents would argue with that.  If I hadn't of, then we wasted a lot of tuition money, rent checks, and travel expenses.  Our college phase is just a bunch of little phases that make up the course of these four or five years. 

I got to thinking about some of the old friends that I ran in to last night and some that I didn't run in to but can't be left out of my reminiscing.  Like CJ and CM.  They tought me a lot about love, heartache, forgiveness, and the value of second chances.  WP taught me a lot about life, being my own person, and encouraged me to let my passions drive me even if it meant breaking down some of the walls that I used to guard myself with. KR taught me about the true meaning of friendship.  BB helped me learn that you can't force attraction with someone and if you can't go a day without thinking about someone then you should never give up on them (wink wink CM). KG showed me that at the end of the day you really just want to be around the one that makes you laugh.  JB helped me learn that, contrary to popular belief, age really does matter.  BL gave me a glimpse of what it would be like to have an older brother.  And everyone has given me five years worth of unforgettable moments.

Pondering all of these thoughts last night, while sipping my cold Coors Light, made me realize that even though I am ready to spread my wings and leave this place, I can't honestly do that without giving a thankful nod to all the wonderful people that trekked this journey with me.  It is hard to believe that 25,000 students go to this school and our little entourage is just one out of thousands of them.  Sure, we totally own Gallettes and The Booth and Innisfree, but somewhere in all those other little bars around town is another group of socialites, frat-daddys, and sorostitutes that make up this whole place.  It's truly been an experience, and I know it's not over until it's over in August but I have a feeling I will be more appreciative of the people, places, and things that are around me in the meantime.

Peace&LOVE,
Bjj 

No comments: