Monday, April 5, 2010

Day Four - fav book

An old man, a young man, and life's greatest lessons.
Even with my love for music and movies, it was not hard to decide what I would write about as my favorite song or favorite film.  The decision on what my ultimate favorite book is, isn't as simple.  However, there is one book that I seek refuge in and read over and over again.  Of course, the Bible is that book to me and before I write about the novel that is my favorite, everyone should know that God's word is by far the most comforting, promising, and truthful book that I ever will read.  No greater hope can come from a book other than the one God has left us in order to guide us and light the path for us.  Once in a while, though, one can come across a book that speaks to them and can be used as an inspiration or motivation for the curve balls we sometimes get thrown.  To me, this book is Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom.


I first read this book during my junior year of high school.  I laughed and cried while all the time being inspired.  I wrote for the school newspaper and was part of the small group of people on the paper's staff that read books in order to write book reviews.  I remember I wasn't assigned a book review and deadline for reading Tuesdays With Morrie but found myself completely engaged in convincing my newspaper advisor to allow me to write a quick, last-minute review for the upcoming edition of the paper.  I felt that the book was way too moving for me to not personally invite other readers to be fulfilled by the words in this particular book.  That was nearly seven years ago and I have read the book six other times since then.  It's a wonderful book for me to read once a year and I would be lying if I said I didn't plan to read it annually in the years to come. 

It was first written in 1997 and topped the New York Time's Bestsellers in 2000.  The book chronicles the lessons about life that Mitch learns from his professor, Morrie Schwartz, who is dying.  The pages hold times of uplift and mourning, just as life itself does.  But in regard to my personal testimony; living the past 11 years with a father who taught me the greatest lessons of all while battling, defeating, and never surrendering to the cancer that threatened his body, I must say that this book is an example of the true respect and admiration that we give to those that lived respectable lives and because of that, we are better people.  I feel like anyone can find a way to connect with Mitch and Morrie while reading this novel.  Trust me, it makes us thankful for the lessons, the people, the teachers, the quality time, and the legacy that our heroes leave us with.

I hope some of you take the time to read this book and see for yourself how incredibly inspiring each person's story is and maybe it will motivate us all to be more like Morrie after we learn the lessons he so wonderfully teaches.  

"Love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone." -Morrie
"Don't hang on too long, but don't let go too soon." -Morrie
"Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live." -Morrie

Peace&LOVE
Bjj

No comments: