Tuesday, April 27, 2010

decor decisions

I went to Target yesterday to use some of the giftcards that were given to me after the fire.  I have had my eye on the Liberty of London line that they recently started carrying (check it out).  I've wanted to get my hands on some of the stuff for quite some time now but refrained from blowing my money on things I didn't neccessarily need, but really really really wanted.  Now that I think about it, that was probably a sign of me growing up and being more responsible than I was before.  I remember that, before the fire, I tried to talk myself into purchasing some of the paisley and floral household things the line has such picture frames, cannisters, and jewelry boxes that didn't match my room at the time but were perfect for the way I wanted to decorate my room when I graduate and move somewhere new.  I'd always fight the urge by saying I already had enough clutter in that little bedroom and I would just have to wait on things like that instead of piling more "stuff" in there.  Funny how my life went from cluttered to having nothing. 

It's safe to say that I lost more than just one bedroom worth of stuff because I had piled that little bedroom full of so much random stuff that it almost affected my chlosterphobia.  Not that you're really given an option when you lose everything to a fire, but I've chosen to live more simply than I did before I lost it all.  But, I do miss having pictures on the wall and the things that added a little spunk and decoration to my space.  These curtains do their job and all, but I can't say they're easy on the eye.  

I've decided that my next bedroom, wherever that may be, is going to be a reflection of who I am.  I didn't really think that the bedroom decor I had at 1008 Oak Ave mirrored my personality whatsoever.  I  think I was in the Crimson Tide fan-mode when I purchased the Bed-In-A-Bag at T.J. Maxx.  It was an artificial silk, crimson-colored comforter with boring ivory sheets.  I spray painted my sister's old bedroom suite black (gotta love that Sherwin-Williams family discount) and added a few black throw pillows to accent the bed.  However, these pillows spent more time on the floor because only on the rarest of occasions did I make my bed.  I remember always thinking the room was too dark and hardly matched my personality.  In my opinion, I think this Liberty of London line at Target is pretty descriptive of my character.  My mom bought me a pajama set from L.O.L. at Target, as well as their paisley printed 'nightie'.  I'm in love! Anyways, back to the home decor department. I am still on the hunt for an affordable white coverlet and white shams, but besides those things it has been fairly easy finding accessories and whatnot to accent my room.  It's killing me that I can't put it all together and post pictures, but I don't have my own room yet and I don't have a camera that works either, so bear with me and use your imagination.

I want all white bedding. Before you say I am crazy to want white let me tell you that I am aware of my bad luck with white. I don't have a habbit of spilling on anything other than white.  I could wear all black for 364 days a year but the 1 day I wear white I will have traces of breakfast, lunch, and dinner before it's all said and done.  It's just one of those things. I share a pillow with my dog every night, but she likes to sleep under the covers like a human so anything she dirties up can quickly be hidden. Ha! I want my accent colors to be turquoise/teal and a deep purply-magenta color.  I bought two large teal pillows from Target yesterday that were $20 each.  I also bought two smaller throw pillows from the Liberty of London stuff that have a retro-floral spin on them, they were $16.99 each.  They're pretty groovy, not going to lie.  I wanted to buy one of the L.O.L. quilts, but decided a mustard yellow or magenta blanket would look better.  I don't want to over-do the floral stuff anyway so now I'm on the hunt for the perfect blanket as well as the affordable white coverlet and shams.

I also bought two L.O.L picture frames.  The fact that the line's decorated frames were not only way cuter than the boring everyday picture frame's were but also a couple bucks cheaper than they were put a smile on my face.  Within five minutes of getting "home" to the hotel I had Millie and I's Christmas picture in one of the $10 frames.  I might be a refuge, but I've got my cutesy frames on my hotel dresser; one of Chace and I and one of Millie and I.  It never hurts to be reminded of life's biggest blessings.

I got some of the Liberty of London stationary as well.  And a lime green and magenta floral file box.  I got a little crazy and figured "why not?" so I went ahead and picked up some extra files to put in there as well.  I won't be using this file box for organizing lesson plans, though.  Those lesson plans that I am slowly replacing will be kept in a fire safe filing cabinet.  I'm not putting myself through this torturous process ever again.  I thought about getting really buck wild and buying the planter.  I thought it'd be fun to be like Kate Hudson in 'How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days' and have a love fern.  Then I decided I better not.  I'll channel my inner Kate in another way rather than that movie's title.  That's one "how to" that I've become pretty expert on.

I've picked up some totally awesome and cool things to begin the redecorating of my space, I feel like.  I am so fortunate to have the means to do so because of the generosity of my family, friends, and even complete strangers (many people from my sister and brother-in-law's Sunday school class who I've never met have contributed to me during this time).  My situation isn't painful when I get to do the fun things like (re)-decorate.  It's kinda neat to witness the changes in myself, too.  Before the fire, I wanted this and that and would find reasons why I needed all sorts of stuff.  Now, I really only want the neccessary.  If I don't love it, I don't buy it.  If I have no use for it, then I figure I have no room for it either because I want simplicity and not clutter. 

I'm looking all over the internet for a spunky but comfy dog bed for Millie Jean.  Steinmart usually has nice ones, but someone needs to tell them that the animal print stuff is getting way old.  Don't get me wrong, I like the animal print stuff but you can only have so much zebra stripes and leopard print in your life before it just makes you nauseaus.  Millie had a zebra print one when she was a puppy, but for some reason she loved to test out my potty-training abilities on that thing.  No, I wouldn't waste my money on a white coverlet if she was still a testy little shit but, luckily, she's not anymore.  Nothing short of the most the most perfect dog in the world, actually.  I'd love to find something floral and bright colored to add some more character to my future room and she's just like me so she digs the bohemian inspired things in life too. 

I'm at a decorating crossroads right now - I can't decide what color and style of furniture I want for my new bedroom suite.  I don't plan on spray painting a whole set of furniture ever again so I want something timeless.  The only reason I went spray paint bizzurk on the old stuff was because it really did need a face-lift.  And in my family, spray paint fixes everything.  I swear, my mom can solve every problem you can think of with a can of spray paint and a tube of super glue.  I'm not kidding when I tell you this but when I broke one of my veneer teeth at a tailgate in Atlanta last September I called home in a sobbing panic.  The first thing my mom said was "Do NOT superglue that tooth back together."  I know I'm a lot like her, but I don't attempt to put everything back together with crazy glue.  It's humorous to me that this was her first thought, but it's even funnier because we all know she would in fact break out the super glue.  But back to my point, I need help finding the perfect bedroom suite... something traditional yet unique because I'm not too big a fan of the "modern" decor look.  

I've been stealing ideas from Etsy here lately.  Have I told you how obsessed with Etsy I am? I probably have.  I am just amazed that I can do all my thrift shopping and antique hunting with the click of a mouse.  I never purchase anything, though.  I'm kind of weird about online shopping.  I pretty much only buy things from Victoria's Secret online because I know how it fits and what size I wear.  As far as trinkets and vintage goldmine's, I prefer to physically shop hop.  Sometimes you hit jackpot and sometimes you don't, but an online purchase means you are stuck with it.  And before you know it you've jumped tracks from simplicity to cluttered.  Besides, I don't really have a shipping address to go along with a billing address so online shopping is pretty much oust.  Online browsing + Etsy = idea finding! I'm going to have my sister paint my desk with an antique-like flare.  Everything I own is going to be brand new, so I kinda appreciate the worn in look on things.  Plus, my sister's married to a man who thinks he's actually Mr. Sherwin-Williams so she gets her hands on some paint.  My mom is probably shaking her head and wondering why I don't just spray it down and call it a day.

I'm going to get back to Etsying around. It's sad that I just set an alarm to go off in 45 minutes that says "Do Your Homework!"  When I go to Etsy-world, I don't come up for air. Hmm... I'm planning ahead to avoid one of the disadvantages of being A.D.D. Another sign of my maturity? Ha

Peace&Love
BJJ

P.S. Chace is employed by Sherwin-Williams as well.  I can only imagine how happy my mother would be if she had two paint-expert son-in-laws.  Talk about hitting the jackpot... she'd have a can of spray paint permanently attached to her hands.

No comments: