Friday, February 12, 2010

Spread The Word To End The Word

Today I was browsing the campaign website for the Spread The Word To End The Word campaign that I am so passionate about, www.r-word.org.  However, I was sad that under the Registered Events tab there are no events being held in the whole state of Alabama for the rally to end the use of the mainstreamed slur of the 'r-words', retarded and retard.  There is only one event registered on the webpage for my homestate of Florida. 

I am encouraging my mom to help me with this cause and hoping that she can get a table set up or something at our home church, the First Baptist Church of Oviedo.  I think she could help gain pledges by doing this because the date of the prospective 100,000 pledge mark is March 3, 2010 - which is a Wednesday and a HUGE night on the church campus.  Hopefully something can get going back in her neck of the woods while I work to get thinks rolling on the University of Alabama campus.

I wrote an email to Cason Kirby, the SGA President at Alabama.  He wrote me back shortly after saying the campaign sounds like a great idea and for a good cause.  He explained to me how I can go about obtaining a grounds permit through the university's administration and making my campaign a student organization on campus.  I am MOST excited! :)

I'm glad that I go to a school that is open to all opinions and puts support and effort into something that looks to better the lives of people.  It's astonishing that some campuses won't allow for things like this.  One of my favorite books I've EVER read is "Expecting Adam" by Martha Beck.  She's a Harvard student working to get her doctrate degree when she learns she is pregnant with her second child, and that she is carrying a baby that has Down syndrome.  Her professors, colleagues, and peers urge her to abort the child because "bringing a baby into the world with Down syndrome is detrimental to society."  How disgusting is that?! She tells of her incredible journey and how the experience of carrying Adam to full-term and the work he has done in her life since she gave birth to him is more positive, more life-changing, and full of more learning than any degree from Harvard ever gave her.  Things like this, for example, make me feel so blessed to go to a school in the deep South that is enriched with value, morals, and respect for all of humanity.

My best friend and sorority sister, Kathleen, is going to help me at the pledge booth and information table that I plan to set up on the university quad or student union (whichever weather will permit).  She's working on her Masters degree in Secondary Education and History.  It's such a joy to have her in my life and she has always encouraged me to follow my heart in the fields of Early Childhood Education, Human Development, and Special Education.  At dinner the other night she made the comment to me, "I am so happy that you are so excited and pumped up about your new major and all the job opportunities that are in your future."  Friends like that are the most genuine and the ones who are life-long and true.  Her support in my 'Spread The Word To End The Word' campaign is just further evidence that she is a special person in my life.

So, keep your fingers crossed and remember me in your prayers as I work to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities, as well as their friends and families.  Hopefully things will continue to go smooth for me in my efforts to set up a student organization booth through the University of Alabama.  It will be the first registered event in the whole state of Alabama and hopefully will make an impact in the efforts to end the "r-word" in society. 

Hopefully everyone has taken note to how harmful the word really is and is working on ceasing the bad habit of using these words.  I know I'm guilty in the past but my recent 'personal' campaign over the past couple of years and now my very outspoken campaign through all of the Spread The Word To End The Word efforts has cut the habit and made me more aware of harmful effects it has on so many wonderful and exceptional people. 

People know me as being this way and when the word is used in conversation around me, the speaker usually interrupts his or her own conversation with a "Sorry, Baily".  It's uplifting to know that my support of this cause and my efforts to raise awareness of the societal problem has rubbed off on others, whether it's just them not wanting to say it in front of me or if they don't say it at all anymore. 

A small change can make a BIG impact... so I hope all of us can join together and end the use of the word! It can only make things better and relieve the harm that it causes - so why not try!?!?

Peace and Love,
BJJ


With Kathleen after the Alabama vs. Arkansas football game in September 2009.

No comments: