Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mildred


Having to leave Millie at home for a month so that she could recover from her "girl surgery" was a pretty hard thing to do. The little 30 pound bundle of joy is my side-kick and not having her around meant I was pretty darn lonesome. I guess getting back to school and celebrating Alabama's National Championship and beginning my last (well, sorta) semester of college kept me busy. Still, that month could have been better with her here but I'm glad she gave my mom ("Granna") and my dad ("Big Butch") and their dogs some good company. If you've never met Millie or been around a Boxer puppy then you are surely missing out on a true gem in life.

This past week was our first full week together again and when I say together, I mean it. We've done everything together. When I'm cooking dinner for one, I make a little extra that I can give to her when I sit down to eat. Blame this on Granna. Granna introduced Millie to a whole new world of good eats a.k.a. table scraps. Out of my seven daily showers this week, Millie has attempted to hop in the tub with me four of those times. We share the same pillow at night despite my best attempt to make her understand that there are three other pillows on the bed with us. I let her get away with this snuggly habit since my ancient little house lacks any productive insulation during the winter. But, come summer time in the Alabama heat, she and I will have to reach some sort of spacial agreement during our sleeping hours.

We've gone to the park or to the university's quad almost every day, only not going when the weather doesn't permit us to do so. We've gone on walks, watched movies, made lesson plans, and put together preschool curriculum guides.

When she was gone, I knew how much I missed her but I didn't realize how she really is the most loyal friend each and every day. Making note of the fact that she is there in good spirit doing all the boring things I must do to get by like cleaning, studying, and running errands, I've put aside some of my social activities or nap times so that I can do the things that she likes to do. So, despite the sub-freezing temperatures that have struck Tuscaloosa lately, I'm the idiot outside with my bouncing and jumping dog while the people with common sense stay inside by a fire or cranked-up heaters.

They may think I'm the unfortunate fool who has to be outside in the cold playing frisbee or fetch, but actually they are the unfortunate ones. Trust me, a lot of fortune and goodness comes with a friend like Millie.

Apparently my typing just interrupted her nap time and I just got "the eye" and "the sigh." I know what that means, it's time to go play!

peace and puppy love
BJJ
The Other Sister

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I take offense to the fact that Millie was taught to eat table scraps while visiting Granna and Big Butch! She already knew what "kitchen treats" were.