Monday, October 3, 2011

Great Weekend & EPIC win!

I had the nicest surprise this weekend!  I planned on seeing Sheldon on Friday night in Gainesville so we could meet for the Alabama-Florida football game.  I was so full of excitement all week long that by Thursday I could hardly stand to wait another day! That's why I was absolutely ecstatic when I got this text message....


He is good at surprises - he got me good last month in Birmingham when he arrived at my sister's house a day early and unbeknownst to me.  Isn't he the best?!

I got to spend all of Thursday afternoon just hanging out with him and then we ate dinner at his grandparent's house that night.  The next day, he helped me finish my pressure-washing project at my house.  We went out to dinner at my favorite restaurant and then met up with my best friend Justin and his wife Megan, who were going to Gainesville with us for the game.  We joined them at a little hole-in-the-wall bar for a couple of beers and good conversation.  It felt so so good having Sheldon in town for a couple of days :)

On Saturday, we got up, put our "game faces" on, and prepared for our first Alabama-Florida rivalry as a couple.  You see, Sheldon grew up a Gator fan and loves orange & blue as much as I love my crimson.  Megan and Justin are also a mix of fanhoods being as Justin was born and raised a Crimson Tide fan and then went on to attend FSU for school.  Megan is a diehard Florida fan and former Gator cheerleader.  The four of us walking around Gainesville and tailgate-hopping brought a lot of laughs and silly comments from onlookers to say the least.


Mom and Dad also came to the game and had a wonderful Bamafied tailgate. Momma knows how to fix it up right!!




I was glad that Sheldon got to meet Susan (one of my very best friends and a super Gator fan) when she stopped by to visit us at the tailgate. 



We also got to spend a lot of time with his aunt & uncle and cousins who are Gainesville residents and diehard Gators as well. I appreciate their hospitality and allowing a loud and proud Tide fan hang out with them. I love his cousin Carlie.  She and I have become great friends.



After a long day of snacking and enjoying gameday cocktails, it was time for the game.  Despite the quick touchdown the Gators scored on us in the opening seconds of the game, the Tide manhandled the Gators and blew them out for the third year in a row.  Being as I grew up in Florida and have to listen to their unique brand of arrogance all the time, there is a sweetness like no other in a victory over them.  (Sorry, Sheldon - don't take it personal.)  Our seats were great.  We might have had to pay a pretty penny for them but it was worth every cent.  The best part about it was that it was in the same section/row as his family's seats were and we bought ours on StubHub.com and they have had theirs for years and years - what are the odds?!


The final score was 38-10. I love that I have other similar pictures to this with similar scores ;)


We played the kind of football that is reminiscent of vintage old-school Alabama football.  The defense was physical, the play-calling was smart, and the running game was unbelievable. Florida went into the game leading the SEC in rushing with an average of 229 yards per game.  They came out with 15 total rushing yards.  Trent Richardson, Alabama's stud running back and Heisman hopeful, ran 181 yards alone.  Total domination.

It was a great weekend and one that I will never forget.  I am so glad I got to spend it with Sheldon. I am so grateful for him... I know he is the man that God put in my life for me - even if he is a Gator fan.  I guess I'll love him anyway ;)



How was your weekend?
Roll Tide!

peace & love
bjj

6 comments:

Michelle (michabella) said...

Woop woop! RTR!

LOVE that he surprised you!!! :)

Liesl said...

What a great and super cute surprise...love it! Looks like you had a fun-filled time and I love all the pictures! The tailgate food look oh so yummy and your mom sure does know how to make a tasty spread!

Liesl :)

Jesslyn Amber said...

This post is simply amazing. I am jealous of and happy for you :)

The tailgate party looks awesome. So funny that it was such a mix of crimson and blue!

And you're right. It was TOTAL DOMINATION. Richardson is a beast. Love your jersey, by the way! ;)

RTR!!!!

Anonymous said...

Aww..how sweet that he surprised you. Glad you all had a wonderful weekend.

I am not a football fan but would definitely be swayed if your momma fixed me tailgating food :)

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

awww! What a sweetie poo!

Anonymous said...

aw so cute! looks like a great time hun xoxo