Thursday, October 27, 2011

This Little Piggie Went To The Vet

Millie had to go to the vet's office today because her allergies are haywire, once again.

Since the day I brought her home (June 2009) she has been one big mess of environmental & food allergies.  I love her so much and I hate that she itches like she does.  I want so bad to take it all away so that she is not in discomfort, so I do my damndest to get her to the vet when her skin starts flaring up.

She itches, she loses hair, she breaks out.... but, she never once stops being a happy, bubbly, loving dog.  That is what is so awesome about her.  She has a way of inspiring me to remain happy even in uncomfortable times. 

We went to the vet today also because there was a knotty-like growth on her left hip.  I was not sure if it was something serious or if she just landed on it wrong when she's jumped so crazily for the frisbee like she does or something.  I am aware that Boxers are one of the most at-risk dogs for bone cancer, so I immediately was on high anxiety when I saw the knot.  She has had lots of problems in the past 2.5 years that we have had to fix or correct, but I had a very odd feeling going into the vet today.

But, it turns out - the problems are all the same.  The root of all this evil is her skin problems and allergies.  So, we have to switch the diet (from chicken & rice to fish & potatoes), we gotta switch up her antibiotic, and she's gonna take baths a lot more than she was, so that we can get her feeling as good as possible.  I just hate it for her!  She is the happiest and spunkiest little dog and to know that she's in pain just KILLS ME!!!

I am just so grateful it was nothing more serious or something we couldn't deal with as easily as this.  Praise God! 

I got some cute snapshots of her lately....







peace & love
baily

"He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog."
- Gene Hill

6 comments:

Michelle (michabella) said...

Aw Millieeee! At least she has an amazing momma and grandparents :)

Ciara said...

Millie is just precious! I feel so bad that she's hurting!

I have 3 boxers. One is all-white and she is a big huge ball of health problems. Usually all-white boxers are euthanized, due to them being at risk for vision/hearing problems. But when she was born, we fell in love with her! And she has no sensory problems at all!

But girlfriend has those same little knots and the doctor keeps telling us its cancer and NOT doing anything about it. I'm intrigued as to wether she just has extremely sensitive skin or allergy problems. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

How cute, I love boxers! Our cat has seasonal/food allergies something terrible. She lands herself at the vet a LOT. She itches & her hair comes out just like you said. Poor thing, when it flairs up she is pitiful. Hope your baby gets well soon :)

Unknown said...

she is soooo cute! i really love that last picture with her face buried in the blankets. :)

Anonymous said...

aw i'm sorry to hear that!! i hope the new diet and antibiotics help. she is absolutely adorable. boxers are one of my favorite dogs.

becky said...

So glad it was not too serious. My baby's itching one spot, so keeping an eye out. I love to take pix of my puppy. He got to me the star of my blog today...Tails from the Pumpkin Patch. He makes a much cuter picture on my blog than me. reinventingtheordinary.com