Thursday, March 3, 2011

EMPLOYED!!! :)

GUESS WHAT?!?

I started my new part-time job today!
Yesterday I said I was "unemployed" but today I am the newest administrative assistant and customer service representative at

VISION ELECTRONICS, INC.

a company that repairs electronic technology (mostly televisions) and is a technical service company for manufacturer's warranties and store's extended warranties. 

where I am assigned to:
- assist walk-in customers
- answer the phones (that ring off of the hook)
-create claims for new repairs, update existing repairs
- update the QSS system for warranty cases and repair claims
- call customers who are awaiting parts, whose claims are completed, and call customers to set appointments
- customer service duties. call customers after completion for follow-up
-check manufacturers websites 3 times a day for dispatches
- update the manufacturers website w/status of repairs
-complete store inventory (once a month)
- tend to voicemails, faxes, emails, and messages

So basically, what I do, is sit at this computer

with this screen in my face...


But luckily, I get little cheat sheets like this to help me out until I get it down pat...

and I deal with customers who call, usually in utter aggravation do they call, to claim a repair or installation that is needed on their t.v.  Or, I call them and let them know the status of their repairs if they have already claimed it.  I update the system for any work done, any changes in the account activity, etc. and I correspond with the customers and the technicians. 

I have to ask the basic information about the t.v. and then I have to figure out if they have a manufacturer's warranty (that came with the t.v.) or an extended warranty (that the Best Buy - or wherever - sales associate sold them when they bought the t.v.) or if they have one at all.  Then, I must file the claim with the appropriate company (manufacturer... like, Samsung or Sony & extended... like, Best Buy or Circuit City).  Then, I make sure everything is handled paper-work wise and I encourage the technical support team members to handle the claim promptly so that when I make my 'customer service follow-up call', the inconvenienced client will hopefully be in a much better mood with a successfully repaired television. 

The person training me warned me that most people
do not like to be without their t.v. so to get ready for some atypical phone conversations.  I asked her about what the protocol was for customers who are jerks and she basically said it was three strikes and you're out.
  "If someone cusses at you, tell them the language is not needed and that you are there to help them.  If they do it again, tell them you are not going to be treated that way for merely doing your job and everything that is in your power to help them.  If they do it again, hang the damn phone up."
I think this co-worker/trainer Mary and I are going to get along juuuust fine!!!

So, yay!!! I am so happy to have this job and be a part of the work-force.  I know it is not my particular dream career but my fantasy job was not what I was pursuing in my efforts to get a job right now.  I knew that a perfect fit for me would be something along these lines, so I am relishing in joy, thanksgiving, and a newfound confidence.  I think it is going to work out great for me.  I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who knew this was a desire of my heart - to have a part-time job that could help me "get back out there", earn some extra cash, build-up my innocent little resume, and give me the opportunity to prove to myself and others that I am not a quitter, that I do not give up just because things get hard, and that I am capable of making an impact by being a hard-worker who excels at her job. 

It may not seem like a BIG deal to you, but I am the feet that have walked this bumpy, rocky, long & winding road for quite some time and I know that it is up to me to make sure that the WORST IS OVER and the BEST IS YET TO COME.  That applies to everything for me...
 love, career, adventure, opportunities, self-discovery, etc.

I can't wait to tell you more about it as I learn more and experience new things at "the office."  Again, thanks for your support!

Oh, P.S. Why did I blog on Monday about job-hunting and Wednesday about being unemployed if on Thursday I got up and went to work?!?
Well, I didn't actually KNOW I had this job until one hour before I clocked in! 

My dad had found out about the opening from one of his friends at the YMCA that he works out with.  My dad seems to be a local celebrity at the neighborhood YMCA.  Friends and acquaintances inform me, on the reg, that my dad is "ripped" and a "badass" on the weights. 
We are SO NOT "like-father like-daughter" in that department ;)
Anyways, he came home from the gym today and told me that his buddy (the owner of the company) wants me to start tomorrow and begin working Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  Then, about 15 minutes later he received a text ("like-father like-daughter") saying that I could come in at 11:00AM.
 
And it was "hi ho, hi ho, off to work I go..."


 
Well hello there, eye-bag lady!
I definitely forgot the eye-liner today... which, for me, is a major "no-no!"

P.P.S.  I know you are secretly wondering if I have another shirt other than this denim button-down - - I DO, I promise! 
It is pretty funny that I seem to be wearing this top when I post self-pics a lot of the time.  I guess you can tell that I like it, then! :)

I'm off to meet Momma at her store (Ann Taylor LOFT) to look at some clothes that I can rock to work!

NOW, TELL ME...

 WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING!?!

I am in the spirit of getting to know all of you better!


And if you don't totally LOVE your job or you don't even LIKE it that much just remember that it could be worse!!! 
  


PEACE AND LOVE


BAILY J. JONES
the new administrative assistant





14 comments:

Michelle (michabella) said...

YAY!!!!! So excited for you Baily!!! And remember... you gotta start somewhere!!! Your going to see your momma?! You are right by my work then!! :) I would LOVE Ann Taylor work clothes! Is it decently priced? Might have to give them a gander!!! So proud of you :)xoxo

Young and Fabulous said...

Awesome congrats girl!!! :) It sounds like youll get to do a lot of interacting and communicating...itll beef up your skills for when you are ready to dive into your dream job!! :)

I'm a writer/editor..went to college for journalism! love it! it's my first 'real life' job..i dont see myself here forever, but for now its good!

xoxox hope you enjoy the job love!

Susan said...

Yay yay yay!!! :D Go get 'em girl! Hottest TV fixer I've ever met! :D

Julie said...

Congrats on being employed! It's such a good feeling. I was just at a career fair working the booth for my agency and there were thousands of unemployed people there. Those of us who have jobs are LUCKY!

I work at a non-profit agency that offers comprehensive services to women in crisis. Specifically we serve victims of domestic violence but we do so much more. I'm the special events coordinator so I'm in charge of all the fundraising, public relations and marketing. It's a really challenging job and can be very frustrating because I basically beg people for money all the time because we have none, haha.

Good luck with any disgruntled customers. I'm sure you'll handle it beautifully.

Unknown said...

yay!! congratulations on the job!! that's very happy!! Can I just say that I LOVE your hair -- it is awesome! I'm pretty sure I told you in your "i got my hair done" post but I'm just sayin' =)
I am the billing manager for an environmental management company. I make sure all the invoicing goes out in a timely and efficient manner and that it is correct. The other half of the month, I manage per lot invoices that are not mailed but created in our system for reconcile purposes and pay bills to our vendors. Oh and as of just last week I also manage a person! yay -- movin' on up =)

Good luck in your position -- maintain your cheery disposition...I would be cussing back haha..ok I wouldn't but i like to thinK I am a badass like that =)

kebowman said...

yay!! congrats on the new job!! :)

I hope you find lots of cute outfits to "rock" to work! You're so funny, your posts always make me smile!

Marian said...

YAY!!! Congrats. That great news:) You'll have to celebrate this weekend

Mal said...

WOOHOO that is so awesome :) Congrats, girl!! I go to grad school and work in student affairs / higher ed :)

Liesl said...

Congrats on your new job...you look super cute at it! Enjoy it and good for you!!! :)

Liesl :)

Sarah @ Cubicle Sanity said...

Bailey yay! Congrats on the job! Mon Wed Fri sounds like a dream job to me!! I'll take it, where do I sign?
I'm currently a Credit Analyst for a Gulf Coast Regional Bank. Some days its great, some days not so much. But, it pays the bills and I am learning a lot. This job took me to New Orleans and then moved me to Houston where the man of my dreams is from. Obviously HE knew what he was doing when he moved me away from a mean boy, sent me to a city where I knew no one, introduced me to a sweet, Texas, Christian man, and then provided me with another opportunity to be closer to that man in a city that I am loving (Houston). HE sure does work in mysterious ways huh...
Really happy things are coming together for you also!

Dee Paulino said...

I am so happy for you!!

Taylor said...

Congrats - you're a working woman! The best part is how excited you are. It will be so rewarding to get that first pay check!

Holli said...

Congrats!! That's so cool :)

Jenn W. said...

Congrats on the new gig.

What do I do for a living? Well currently, I am student teaching 7-4 with no pay. But I am hoping to land a job soon so I can start bringing home a little bacon.
:)