Thursday, July 15, 2010

a song called lochloosa and lochloosa sounds like my home.. for florida...

Lauren and Whitney bought me some suprises when they were in Seaside, Florida over the 4th of July Weekend. Supposedly there's this new record store there that I hear I would "just looove!" and they brought me a couple teases home. They bought me the Michael Jackson 'Thriller' album, Janis Joplin's *ORIGINAL PRESSED* 'I Got Them Ol' Kozmic Blues Again, Mama!' album, and the JJ Grey & Mofro 'The Choice Cuts' album.

The JJ Grey & Mofro album was one I had never heard before (the Michael Jackson and Janis Joplin albums came out obviously several decades ago so I've given my ears a listen a few times on each of those). But the 'The Choice Cuts' vinyl is already well-loved by me.

It got me through a pretty treturous week of studying for that killer Social Psychology exam. But I just got home from it, and I rocked it's gypsy soul. I really do like this lecture, and the material is enough basic theory that I can apply my previous knowledge to it, but it goes into depth in the social and cognitive domains of psychology and there's always a bold-fonted key term in the textbook that I don't know, so it's been pleasantly challenging. I stop there, and go no further, because the last thing I need is to say that and then completely _beep!_ myself when the next two exams are the pit-fall of ever being both pleasant and challenging and becomes HELL.

But I love this album because there is a lot of Florida heritage that are written in the lyrical component of this different style of music. It's swamp-folk and country-rock and a little bit of jazziness mixed with mountainy bluegrass strings. I can put it simpler, into two words: I DIG. (I have even facebook-statused some of the lyrics about my beloved swampy sunhine state!)

Here are some of the lyrics I just love and this new band of interest for me definitely gets a high five for singing some good tunes about the very misunderstood nature of my homestate...
FLORIDA!



Homesick but it's alright / Lochloosa is on my mind / She's on my mind /
I swear its 10,000 degrees in the shade / Lord have mercy knows - how much I love it /
Every mosquito every rattlesnake / Every cane break - everything //
Every alligator / Every black water swamp / Every freshwater spring - everything //
All we need is one more damn developer taking her heart out //
All we need is one more Mickey Mouse / Another golf course another country club /
 Another gated community // Lord I need her /
Lord I need her // And she's slipping away /
Homesick but it's alright / Lochloosa is on my mind /
She's on my mind / She's on my mind

-JJ Grey & Mofro 'Lochloosa'

guess what I DID recently that caused me to miss the good ol' days?? 

i t . i s . w h a t 
 m y . f r i e n d s . d i d
a l l . s u m m e r . l o n g 
w h i l e . g r o w i n g . up 

a couple weeks ago Chaceface and I went N a little ways up the interstate to Smith Lake and enjoyed a day of laying in the water on a raft. Not just any raft. The kind of raft that is considered some prime real-estate on Jones family vacations. A couple cold beers, my boyfran, and a weeks worth of stresses being deferred so that I could
.e n j o y.
.m y.
.S U N D A Y.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was really quite amazing and much, much, much needed!
I wigged.. and I mean WIGGED out when I jumped off that dock into dark and unknown waters and let me anxieties get the best of me as I splashed and cyclopzed around and up that ladder back onto the dock. Chace got quite the kick out of it and intead of saying,
"No, Baily... we're not in Florida - you can swim in lakes, no alligators!"
like a good and compassionate boyfriend would and instead said,
"I bet you someone bought a pet alligator like a dumbass and has let it go in this lake once it got too big and now it's breeding out of control and bringing alligators to my lake!"

Seriously? What.the.heck....???
Could he have not let the fact that I am the MOST-GULLABLE girl he's ever met in his entire life refrain him from saying anything, because by the time I could get me and my not-so-nineteen-year-old-body (complete w/my newest version of big-woman-curves) out of the water, I had already convinced myself that this lake-neighborhood is made up of a bunch of imbeciles with stray pet alligators, which are in a breeding frenzy right below me in
 my very unfamiliar and horribly uncomfortable area of unbeknownst dark lakewater.
I finally warmed up and we enjoyed our day hanging out on the
S H O R E L I N E
o f . a
f r e s h - w a t e r
L  A  K  E
a n d . n o t . h a v i n g
t o . w o r r y . a b o u t . a n y
A L L I G A T O R S
l i k e . w e . h a v e . t o
w o r r y . a b o u t . i n 
t H e . S u N s H i N e . s T a T e





Come see us in Alabama and Florida!
We've got pretty lakes, but it is our beaches that really need your everyone's help!!
The Gulf Oil Spill is staining our very beautiful and much-loved white sandy coastlines.
Our tourism is bruised.Our wildlife are in danger.
And the spirit of those perfect Southern summers still linger,
but it's hard to feel the free-spirited charm of 
O L D  - F L O R I D A  
because of the brutal reality that there is a spilled and spewing detrimental disaster sittingvery unwelcomed in her panhandle's harbors. Just above
the Land of Sunshine and in the Heart of Dixie is the
S T A T E   of   A L A B A M A
where all the well-mannered and good-souled folks are breaking their backs to help out their country, their state, and their fellow Southerner, despite the bitter reality of the unwanted spill of darkness that masks our waters and plagues our shorelines.

message me and tell me how you have contributed to the relief efforts in wake of the BP Oil Spill

i may (or may not) have a personalized
Expressive Journal: starter-kit that i put together to give-away
to ((someone)) who appreciates the things that I appreciate, like:
advocacy, peace, love,
unity & community-service

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A TYPICAL BLOGGER "GiVe AwAy" THAT YOU MAY SUSPECT
NOPE - NOT WHATSOEVER
BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE COOL TO HEAR OTHER'S STORIES OF
NATIONAL//or// STATE//or//COMMUNITY//  VOLUNTEER WORK!!!

*if no one wants to share their story by leaving me a comment, then I will use this time to be up on my soap-box  advocating service oriented and volunteer work  EVERYWHERE, especially with the Gulf Relief Efforts

BUT I THINK YOU WILL LIKE SOME OF MY  IDEAS FOR MY OWN LITTLE WAY TO (INEXPENSIVELY) GIVE BACK TO THE SOUTHERN-COASTAL ECOSYSTEM, THE LOVE AND COMFORT THAT THOSE SaLtY SHORES AND CrYsTaL cLeAr WATERS
 GAVE ME OVER THE YEARS ON THOSE CHERISHED FAMILY VACATIONS
AND ON ALL OF  THE PREPPY, COLLEGE, SPRING-BREAK WEEKS THAT  I SPENT IN

destin, florida . gulf shores, alabama . panama city beach, florida
and
 orange beach, alabama . pensacole, florida . marco island, florida

"at the Bama Breeze, you're one of our own down here, you never drink alone down here, good God I feel at home down here." -Jimmy Buffett's ode to The FloraBama

Oh ya, P.S. I think everyone should go see "GROWN UPS"
because it reminds me of how awesome those summer weeks were when my family
(along with any other family or families we were summer-vacay-ing with)
w o u l d . p u t . t h e . w o r d
F  U  N
i  n t o . t h e . w o r d 
d  y  s  F  U  N  c  t  i  o  n  a  l


will write more on my next study-break!
it helps me vent... thank God!
☮Peace ☮
and
Love
 - bjj -

No comments: