Thursday, August 20, 2009

Welcome To My World

Hello! Some of you may follow my other blog - "Just Jones It: College Edition" - but you may not if you get sick of consistent praises to Alabama Football and North Carolina Basketball. So, this one won't be about sports, if I can help it.
I'm a student at The University of Alabama and I'm majoring in Early Child Development. My passion is working with children with special needs.
I'm a true believer that every life was made for a purpose and that every child deserves unconditional love. My life will be in pursuit of equality and non-discrimination for children with disabilities. I hope to one day adopt a baby born with Down syndrome. If any of you have ever spent even just a few moments with such a special child, you would know what I am talking about when I say that the whole, big world will become a better place because of the small, simple kindness, love, and purity that children of all shapes and sizes and IQ levels bring to it. For those, in their world, who do not know this kind of zest for life that children with special needs do, or who believe a genetic defect defines a person in society, then I truly feel sorry for them and believe their "perfect genetic coding" defines them as society's most defected. In my world at least.

I believe that drive and hard-work amount to being successful. But I believe more in perserverance. I think the more times someone gets knocked down, as long as they get back up each time and try again - they are the most successful. Just because one person had a harder time getting to a certain place, they are just as successful and deserving of it as the person in that same place who had an easier time getting there.

I believe in standing up for what you believe, even if you're the only one standing. No matter how different you are, how stupid you look, or how lonely you are, as long as you're standing for something, you'll stay up. But if you have nothing to stand for, you'll fall for anything.

I admire the person who stands out in a crowd. I admire the one who thinks creatively, the one who surpasses the text-book version of things and creates new ideas, and the one who intrigues us all even if we're looking at them like they are the biggest freak we've ever seen - hey, at least we're looking!

I think the past defines the future, your friends are the family you chose, and your family are the friends you want the most.

Giving credit to people who shape our world can make us all a little better people. We're not supposed to live our life in routine, day-by-day, for the same reasons over and over. We're supposed to be inspired, change the things that are wrong and continue the things that are right, and in the end, we're meant to be the ones who inspire the ones we leave behind.

I think you can learn a lot by learning about your family - the biology of it, the psychology of it, and the emotions of it. Your family defines you and you define your family - no matter who it is that you consider family.

There's a little bit about me and a glimpse into my world. I'm going to write about the things going on my world, the things I like, the things I don't like, and the things I can not change but can learn from.

Peace. Love. Happiness.
-BJJ

No comments: